Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Shawty

In 1992 I shattered the radius, ulna and humerus in my left arm. It took 8 weeks in a cast and 2 years to heal. When my cast was removed, the doctor announced that the hardware inside my elbow could remain there for life because my growth plates showed full maturity. At 12 years old and 5'3" tall I had to face my future like a woman. A short woman. Or as I would later learn in my high school years in the ghetto, like shawty.

Yesterday I was standing on a chair.

I began standing on chairs a LONG time ago. Whose idea was it to put cabinets 9 feet in the air?! While standing on said chair, I nearly suffered an aneurysm when I discovered an entire herd of dust bunnies who'd moved in to apartment above my refrigerator called "the top of my refrigerator."

That was when it dawned on me. I don't dust on top of the fridge because I can't see up there unless I'm standing on a chair. My husband can see it every time he walks by. My father can see it. My brother in law, Wonder Woman Heather Tomberlin and other Amazon women, Paul Bunyan (if he were real) and all of the Cleveland Caveliers can see it, but not me.

Here's the point: if I'd never seen it, and never known it, it would have never bothered me. But now I know. Great. Not unlike King Solomon I lamented, "In much wisdom, is much grief."

What shortcomings and faults in your own life are visible to other people but not so much to you? You know, the hard issues in life don't just go away if you avoid them. They tend to multiply, well, like bunnies.

1 comment:

  1. I can't see on top of the fridge either and had one of those epiphanies about other's seeing it a few years ago....when some tall friends were over for dinner;)

    ReplyDelete